Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Most Recent Projects


As I have only recently returned from Japan, I haven't had a lot of time over the last several months to make stuff. Now that I'm back I can make up for lost time!

Here is my first attempt at miniature making (from scratch, that is), Evil Fred! Who better to make first? He is shown here some change, an orange, a Nintendo DS cartridge, my ring, and a paper crane. You can click for a larger view. I won't go into detail as to how he was made just yet. I'll post the step-by-step in a separate entry.

For some, this is old news. I sculpted this guy last year and painted him over the summer before I left. That is why I've done more stuff!

Here we have Evil Fred posing with my two newest projects: a Cave Troll from LotR and Dipp from Katamari Damacy.

The Cave Troll only has a little customization done to it. I bought the miniature on sale at Hobby Town USA and then immediately began thinking about how I would alter it. Since my LotR Minis force is all Isengard, I decided I would strap a few Uruk-hai shields to his arms as extra armor. Upon reflection, I think I should put some white handprints on him...

In any event, I put a black basecoat on him and promptly left for Japan. Upon my return I decided it was high time this guy got a paintjob. Breaking from Cave Troll standard (as seen in the movies), I decided that this troll was a cross breed made to survive in the sun (as Cave Trolls have a tendance to become giant rocks in sunlight). This is, I believe, mentioned in the books, so I shall contend it to be canon.

Dipp is made entirely from scratch, using a spare round base that I believe came with the Troll. I began with an epoxy putty head on a wire armeture. After applying his hips, I attached the model to the base. A few more gobs of epoxy putty and a little sanding later, and I had a finished model. I gave everything (save his pants) a black basecoat, then covered his shirt with white dots. Later I came in with the various colors to tinish off his blinking suit. All that remained to paint where his pants, antenna, and face (which was the only trick part due to his tiny eyes). Overall I am quite happy with the result.

That's all I have so far. I'm currently on Spring Break, so I hope to get at least one of my other projects done. Also look forward to the Evil Fred Step-by-Step I mentioned!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! These teeny projects will at least help you have a steady hand!! Good job :)

    ReplyDelete